Friday, October 17, 2014

Click Away 2014 September 11 - September 13, 2104

Full Moon over the conference center: on the way to the first Key Note Speaker.

I'll be honest, it seemed like a great idea to sign up in March after I found out one of my photography idols, Karen Russell, was going to be a speaker at the Click Away 2014 conference. However as the day of departure dawned, I was quaking in my Tom's about going to this weekend photography conference solo. Traveling alone is fine, but I've not been super active on the boards at Clickin' Moms and knew no one... only my soon-to-be roommate Tori whom I was able to get to know a little bit via FB before the trip. She didn't LOOK like an ax murderer and, fortunately for me, I couldn't have been blessed with a better, sweeter, kinder or smarter roommate! 

Inside the conference center: lots of ladies wandering. I enjoyed eyeing everyone's camera bags and 'shopping'

Lines, lines, everywhere visual lines!

However, once I arrived at the airport, the excitement was palpable as I eyed camera bags of other ladies wandering around, knowing they were going to be my camera addicted sisters for the weekend! After meeting Tori and Kelly at the airport and tons of other lovely ladies... my fears melted away! 

The WHOLE reason I came to Click Away 2014 was to meet this awesome lady: Karen Russell!

Sue Bryce teaching an incredible posing class! Key learning: Get myself in the frame!

What an AMAZING event!! EVERYONE I met was friendly and willing to give a compliment or share a story and chat. I was BLOWN AWAY by the stories of the kindness of Click Away Hubbies... do we not have the best partners in the world? Home watching the kids, giving the trip as a surprise gift or providing a cute camera bag & new gear? My husband was no exception and Props to our Partners, FOR SURE!!



Macro Class: using a loaner Sigma 105mm lens for my Nikon D800

Portrait Photography Walk:
My stunning roommate and new friend: Tori!

I laughed so hard I cried. And my sides ached. And my cheeks ached! It felt oh, so good! I learned new techniques & came away inspired and ready to create. Thank you new friends and Click Away for such a memorable and practical experience!



A few pictures of my beautiful girls in a gorgeous inner city location.
New friend Kelly: such a knockout! 

Some of my favorite quotes from the weekend:
"Bravery, I will do this thing even if it is scary!" ~Elizabeth Gilbert Keynote

Dinner with my girls at an awesome Mexican Restuarant: Blue Iguana... not to be confused with the Red Iguana!


"No woman sees past what she hates (about herself) to see what there is to love" ~Sue Bryce


Evening photowalk with my girls, Tori & Kelly.


"Get in front of the camera and accept where you are right now." ~Sue Bryce


"Do something for someone that they cannot repay" ~Joy Prouty Keynote


"Do what you love, spread hope & dream big" ~Joy Prouty Keynote



"Reward your husband for taking pictures (of your) or posing with a make out session." ~Karen Russell (She is SO smart!)


And the above picture summarizes the whole weekend: laughs and joy and fellowship with ladies who love photography as much as I do! What a blessing this whole weekend was!

Can't wait to do it again next year!

PS: More to come from the Silver Lake Adventure!