Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Apprentice ready to ride 30 miles!


10/14/12 time to ride to the start. 
(Taken at First American Title Ins CO)

Perseverance. 

Am I teaching my son his strengths? Today was a challenge for him that I hope will indeed prove to him that he is capable of great feats of perseverance. 

Almost our entire family signed up for the Tour de Scottsdale: My brother, Dan and I rode the 70 mile tour. My Dad, The Apprentice (my son) and my sister-in-law rode the 30 miles.

It was a gorgeous day but not an easy ride. The Apprentice only trained for about half the ride's distance. The first 10 miles was a gradual uphill ride. Not easy! However, he never gave up, took one pedal stroke at a time and crossed the finish line in 2 hours 34 minutes and 51 seconds... with a bit more gusto than his Grandfather could muster!

It reminds me of the race we run striding towards heaven: every day we do our part to train (by reading our bible, going to church, volunteering, etc.) so when the events arrives we can perform as we've trained: sharing Jesus with a friend, keeping patient in spite of strife, handling tragedy with the biggest picture in mind. 

Many small steps make a journey: today was one in which I am super proud of my boy. He has the perseverance gene and is learning to exercise it at a young age. Praise God!

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" Hebrews 12:1