Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A love affair with Food

It's true, I'm not a big drinker. Don't get me wrong... I sometimes crave an ice cold medium bodied beer with something like BBQ or Burgers or Mexican food... and a glass of Riesling will relax me and make me fell like a 'grown up' on a couples night out with friends. (You'd like at 37 I'd feel like a grown up... but nope, I don't!)

But when I ran across this article at active.com  talking about athletes and eating disorders... Wow! It really hit me like a ton of bricks! I struggle with finding that balance of having the good stuff that fills me up, sates my appetite and keeps me healthy with the "frills" of movie popcorn, brownies, chocolate and the occasional glass of wine or beer. 

My Weight Watchers journey started in 2008 when my goal was to drop 15 lbs to get to my wedding weight. However, learning to eat on Weight Watchers saw me drop 45 lb's to a goal weight I hadn't seen since high school! Something I never thought would be attainable again. I've done very well maintaining that weight for nearly 3 years. And accomplished some amazing athletic feats during that time. (multiple 1/2 marathons, 1 marathon, sprint triathlon, etc.) Yet, I still struggle with balancing the good stuff with the everyday maintenance stuff.

Not sure where the answer lies, but I'm working on it. What about you? How do you manage those cravings and temptation foods? 

Okay, I'm off to have a brownie! (or not... ;-)