Thursday, March 18, 2010

Who needs a reversing ring?

While traveling to Santa Clara for work last year, I ran across a photography article that explained how to turn your prime lens into a macro lens with a flip. Now, I KNEW this to be true but thought a special adapter was needed. To my surprise, NO adapter is needed, you can just flip it around and shoot by hand holding the lens to the camera body. Now, this only works with my 50mm f/1.8 lens and not my 35mm f/1.8 lens
Why? Well the 50mm f/1.8 allows me to manually change the f-stop where as the 35mm is all electronic. I've not found a way to change the f-stop on that lens once it is removed from the camera. Does that mean you CAN'T use the 35mm f/1.8 for macro? No, but it does mean that your depth of field is stuck at the default f22... so HUGE depth of field.
My next question is, does this work on a zoom lens? Something I'll have to try once I get a manual style zoom... but in the meantime, I really enjoyed spending the warm afternoon in my backyard surrounded by weeds and taking pictures of the flowers in bloom.
I LOVE the tiny bug on this flower... I didn't notice it at first and is that a spider's web??
These images were shot with the 50mm f/1.8 at f8. ISO 200, shutter speeds varied depending on location and light.
The purple flowers are: Penstemons Digitalis Beard-Tongue. The yellow flowers are Encilia Farinosa or Brittle Bush.