Saturday, September 19, 2009


It's 4 weeks till the 1/2 Marathon in San Francisco. Susan and I are on pace with the novice Hal Higdon training planning and completed 8 miles today. We ran the canal starting at Riggs Road. Up to the airport and then back to the car.

We have discovered GU. At mile 4, I ate 1/2 pack of GU (chocolate extreme with caffeine... yum!). It takes about 10 minutes to kick in but my legs went from lead to tolerable. At mile 6, I had another 1/4 pack, saving the last bite for the final 7th mile. That extra caffeine was just enough to let me put a little kick on the end and drop to 9 min/mile for that last bit, felt great!

The idea of hills still scares the crap out of me, but with more treadmill hill training I hope to overcome. I WILL finish... I expect to do so in less than three hours. Can I push it closer to the two mark? Who knows. What a great run.

Activity
Route:8 mile CanalElev. Avg:1224 ft
Location:Sun Lakes, AZElev. Gain:+0 ft
Date:09/19/09Up/Downhill: [+9/-9]
Time:07:00 AMDifficulty:2.3 / 5.0
 
Weather:A Few Clouds
 73 F temp; 53% humidity
 73 F heat index; winds NE 8
Performance

Distance: 7.98 miles
Time:1:31:47
Speed:5.2 mph
Pace:11' 30 /miHeart Rate:158 bpm (Avg)
Calories:869176 bpm (Peak)
Notes
5 minute walk/ GU break at 4 miles, 2 minute walk/ GU break at 6 miles, ate last bit of GU on the last mile and kicked to 9.3 min mile for last 1/2. YEAH!!!
Map
Sun Lakes, Arizona
 
Elevation (ft)